Anybody who’s suffered from a bad flea infestation knows how annoying Flea Bites can be. Not only do you have to watch your pet suffer and scratch at their fleas, but your bites can be quite horrible as well. The reason flea bites itch is that flea saliva contains an anti-coagulant that causes an allergic reaction and results in the small, itchy bump that you see.
The best thing you can do for flea bites is not scratch them, obviously. This is always more easily said than done, but the more you can do to not scratch, the better. However, there are a few tips to reduce how much the bites itch.
Among the most popular methods to relieve itching are calamine lotion, tea tree oil, vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Ice can also work temporarily by numbing the area of the bite. You might also try hand-sanitizer, anti-septic cream and sunburn remedies.
Obviously, the best thing to do as a long-term solution is get rid of the fleas themselves. This is not always easy to do, but if you follow some fairly simple steps, and stay with a careful and concerted program, you can succeed.
The first step is to kill the fleas on your pet. There are many topical pet flea treatments available, but probably the most popular is Frontline. Frontline comes in small, single-dose vials that are applied between the pets shoulder blades. The treatment then disperses out through the animal’s hair follicles and oil glands, and should provide protection for one month.
The next step is to get rid of the fleas in your home. This can be difficult to do with a serious infestation, but following a careful plan is the key. First, wash everything you can that might be infested with fleas, including pet bedding, cushions, carpets, etc. Throw them in the washing machine and wash with hot water and detergent.
The best thing you can do for fleas in your home is vacuuming. Vacuum your carpets and floors as much as possible, every day if you can, but at least three days a week. You can also buy some chemical sprays and foggers if you have a bad infestation. If you do this, make sure you buy a product that contains both an insecticide, such as pyrethrin, as well as an insect growth regulator (IGR) such as methoprene. This ensures that the spray will kill both adult fleas, as well as eggs, larva and pupae.
The key to this simple program is to continue to treat both your home and pet long past the time the fleas seem to be gone. If your pet stops scratching, still treat them with Frontline. If your home seems fine, don’t stop the frequent vacuuming. Fleas can be quite tenacious and hide out as eggs and larva, only to surprise you with a new infestation just when you think you’re in the clear.
You have always looked after your pet's welfare, especially when it comes to its health and physical well-being. Dog flea is one of the biggest problems encountered by your pet so you will have to face the challenge of getting rid of fleas. Fleas imbibed animal blood and can provoke countless problems, including: skin irritation, allergic reaction, anemia and in remote cases, even death. By means of flea control, there are guides and methods given on getting rid of fleas.
1. Experts suggested these common procedures for removing fleas:
* Inspect your dog daily to determine that it is bugged-free; better still, is to check for fleas and ticks on your dog after your outdoor walks.
* Search for those hideous fleas by using a flea comb dabbed with jelly petroleum so the fleas will stick to the tine. * Carefully check your dog's toes, behind the ears, in the armpit, tail and head where fleas are usually congregating.
* To find out if your dog has fleas when bathing; spread a large white towel under the dog. Fleas naturally fall off when you rinse the dog. When you find fleas, flick them with alcohol-soaked cotton balls. The solution will slow them down for you to catch the fleas easily. Then place them in a cup of water and flash water down the toiler bowl or down the sink.
2. Natural prevention: A healthy dog is antidote for fleas and other parasites cannot affect them; healthy animals recoup from illness faster. Parasites tend to pick unhealthy animals with weak immune system. Remember that when your pets are stressful, like humans, their immune system weakens too.
3. Dietary method: Dogs must have their fill of nutritious diet. In order to boost its immune system, include the following:
* Mix one teaspoon (per 30 lbs. of dog's weight) of brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast with their daily food.
* Give B complex vitamins at 50 mg. once a day for smaller dogs and twice the amount for larger dogs.
* Dilute one tablespoon of organic apple cider in the dog's water dish.
* Mix one teaspoon of safflower oil or powdered kelp or seaweed in its food bowl.
* Blend grated garlic and mix in your dog's food; fleas are repelled by garlic odor.
4. Traditional methods for getting rid of fleas:
* A flea collar has been an old stand-by and effective method. Just be careful in using this with your dog; be sure to read the instructions carefully.
* Topical treatment is available from your veterinarian. Frontline plus is a monthly topical flea and tick preventive for dogs. Frontline for dogs kills 100% of adult fleas on your pets within 18 hours and 100% of all ticks within 48 hours. It contains an insect growth S-methoprene which kills both adult fleas and larvae.
* Oral medication is also available from your veterinarian. Oral medication is very effective for it makes larvae incapable of reproducing during their life cycle. You can buy this from Petmed which is an online pet store offering pet supplies, medical products and supplements for your pets.
* Flea shampoo, balling dips, flea comb and flea powder are also effective applications to get rid of fleas. These are ways of getting rid of fleas; easy and time-tested. For more information, you can search the web.
Flea Control Secrets - Natural Flea Remedy - Cedarwood
Heartworms and fleas are parasites that can result in critical problems in pets. The good news is that it is now possible to prevent these parasites by utilizing safe, effective and easy-to-administer treatments. It is a well-known fact that heartworm disease can damage the lungs, heart, and other related blood vessels. This disease is spread through an infected mosquito bite. In dogs, heartworm disease is treatable, but it is very painful and expensive. While there are no authorized products for heartworm treatments in cats. Fleas are bloodsucking parasites that transmit tapeworms can result in flea allergy dermatitis (FAD). Hence, it is advised to prevent heartworms and fleas in pets.
Some facts about Heartworms
- Heartworm disease affects dogs, cats and a maximum of thirty other mammal species.
- This disease spreads through parasitic worms residing in the major lung vessels and at times in the hearts.
- This disease can cause wide array of problems affecting the heart, liver, lungs and kidneys of the pets. In some extreme cases, it can even lead to death.
- In cats, heartworms can result in respiratory disorder that imitates feline asthma. But there is no approved treatment of heartworms in cats.
- Heartworm disease is 100% preventable but still there are many pets who are diagnosed with this disease every year.
- There are more than 25% heartworm infected cats that live indoors.
Prevention of Heartworm disease
It is recommended to give Sentinel Spectrum as a heartworm preventive treatment for dogs. It is one of the best treatments available for dogs that provides 100% heartworm prevention guarantee, along with prevention of four other intestinal parasites including: hookworms, roundworms, tapeworms and whipworms. It even aids in preventing fleas from laying eggs, thus controlling flea infestations.
Fleas can lead to critical problems in dogs and cats. Some of the adverse reactions of fleas on pets include: continuous itching and scratching, hair loss, scabs, skin damage and skin infection. It is also known as Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD).
Some facts about fleas
- Fleas can not only affect pets, but also human beings.
- Fleas can transmit tapeworms to pets and people.
- They play a significant role in spreading cat-scratch fever disease between cats and humans.
- Fleas can suck lots of blood from the pets that it can result in weakening and even life-grievous anemia.
- Fleas can be seen nearly anywhere in the year. But they are less prevalent in colder months.
Prevention of fleas
Advantage is one of the best flea preventive treatment available in the market. It is completely waterproof monthly treatment which enables dogs from going into the water without the effect of the treatment to wear out. It aids in preventing flea allergy dermatitis (FAD). Flea bites are prevented within 5 minutes of administration of the treatment. It also kills 100% chewing lice within a week of administration and is effective for a full month. It kills adult fleas within half a day of administration and 99% flea larvae within 20 minutes of administration.
The combination of Advantage and Sentinel Spectrum is the easiest way to safeguard your pets from these pesky parasites.