Beside infesting and sucking off blood from your pets, flea bites on people too. Among all insects’ bites, flea bites on people are one of the most commonly seen.
Human can be bitten by a variety of fleas namely the dog flea, cat flea or the human flea. Fleas use their jaws to cut through the skin and then excrete their saliva containing enzymes and anticoagulant. The anticoagulant will prevents blood from clotting and enable the fleas to suck on the blood. The enzymes excreted cause all the allergic reactions seen on people.
What do flea bites look like?
Human flea bites generally occur along the ankles and lower portions of the legs. A flea bite can usually be described as a red spot accompanied by a halo of redness that can last for several hours depending on one’s reaction to it. It may causes a slight irritation or itch in some people while others with extreme allergies will sometimes break out into hives and have excessive swelling. Children tend to have more sensitive skin and as such, flea bites seen in children are usually more severe than in adults.
Treating Flea Bites
Before you run to your family doctor to seek medical treatment, here are some home treatments for flea bites that you may try especially if it’s just a mild case of allergy.
1. Wash affected area with a mild antiseptic soap or detergent
2. Put an ice pack over the affect area. This will help in reducing swelling and inflammation
3. Apply some calamine lotion to relieve the itch
4. A mild steroid cream like hydrocortisone which are easily available from a local pharmacy will be useful in relieving the swellings and itch more rapidly.
As always, prevention is better than cure. Fleas breed at a rapid rate and getting rid of fleas can be an uphill task. Flea control requires an integrated plan, which involves treating your pets, entire house, backyards and gardens. All these require both great efforts and persistence but will be all worthwhile when you get to finally declare your home flea free and bites free!
Not many pet lovers are informed that it is very feasible to have flea-less pets. And the good news is that you don't have to use up all your hard earned cash on getting rid of these unwanted invitees on your pets and around your home. You can achieve it naturally. Let's examine some of the things you can do to accomplish a flea-free environment for you and your pets.
What type of pet do you have? I want you to know that having a flea-less pet is only possible if you have short haired pets. In other words, long haired pets are haven for fleas. So, do away with the long hair. This makes it feasible for you to see if your pet is infected and the work of cleaning him or her is made easy.
Another way to have a flea-less pet is ensuring that your pet stays indoor always. This keeps him or her away from infected pets in your neighborhood. Also, it keeps him or her away from sleeping in dirty places that are haven for fleas. It is a fact that fleas thrive on dirty areas and so the best way to deal with them is to have a clean place around you and your pet.
Another thing you should look into is the bedding. It is highly critical that you give your pet clean bedding. Wash it regularly with hot water. This removes any fleas that may be present. If you want to permanently remove them from the bedding, it is appropriate to use eucalyptus. You can also make use of lavender oil. These are good repellent that will keep them away for good.
If you still notice the presence of these annoying visitors on your pets and in your home after doing the above, it is critical that you clean the entire house. You can vacuum the whole house as it helps to get rid of the eggs. Cleaning your house should not be done once in a while. Do it repeatedly. This is the best and natural way of getting rid of fleas permanently from your pets and your home.
How Does Frontline Spot On Flea Treatment Work?
Heartworms and fleas are parasites that can result in critical problems in pets. The good news is that it is now possible to prevent these parasites by utilizing safe, effective and easy-to-administer treatments. It is a well-known fact that heartworm disease can damage the lungs, heart, and other related blood vessels. This disease is spread through an infected mosquito bite. In dogs, heartworm disease is treatable, but it is very painful and expensive. While there are no authorized products for heartworm treatments in cats. Fleas are bloodsucking parasites that transmit tapeworms can result in flea allergy dermatitis (FAD). Hence, it is advised to prevent heartworms and fleas in pets.
Some facts about Heartworms
- Heartworm disease affects dogs, cats and a maximum of thirty other mammal species.
- This disease spreads through parasitic worms residing in the major lung vessels and at times in the hearts.
- This disease can cause wide array of problems affecting the heart, liver, lungs and kidneys of the pets. In some extreme cases, it can even lead to death.
- In cats, heartworms can result in respiratory disorder that imitates feline asthma. But there is no approved treatment of heartworms in cats.
- Heartworm disease is 100% preventable but still there are many pets who are diagnosed with this disease every year.
- There are more than 25% heartworm infected cats that live indoors.
Prevention of Heartworm disease
It is recommended to give Sentinel Spectrum as a heartworm preventive treatment for dogs. It is one of the best treatments available for dogs that provides 100% heartworm prevention guarantee, along with prevention of four other intestinal parasites including: hookworms, roundworms, tapeworms and whipworms. It even aids in preventing fleas from laying eggs, thus controlling flea infestations.
Fleas can lead to critical problems in dogs and cats. Some of the adverse reactions of fleas on pets include: continuous itching and scratching, hair loss, scabs, skin damage and skin infection. It is also known as Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD).
Some facts about fleas
- Fleas can not only affect pets, but also human beings.
- Fleas can transmit tapeworms to pets and people.
- They play a significant role in spreading cat-scratch fever disease between cats and humans.
- Fleas can suck lots of blood from the pets that it can result in weakening and even life-grievous anemia.
- Fleas can be seen nearly anywhere in the year. But they are less prevalent in colder months.
Prevention of fleas
Advantage is one of the best flea preventive treatment available in the market. It is completely waterproof monthly treatment which enables dogs from going into the water without the effect of the treatment to wear out. It aids in preventing flea allergy dermatitis (FAD). Flea bites are prevented within 5 minutes of administration of the treatment. It also kills 100% chewing lice within a week of administration and is effective for a full month. It kills adult fleas within half a day of administration and 99% flea larvae within 20 minutes of administration.
The combination of Advantage and Sentinel Spectrum is the easiest way to safeguard your pets from these pesky parasites.