Anybody who’s suffered from a bad flea infestation knows how annoying Flea Bites can be. Not only do you have to watch your pet suffer and scratch at their fleas, but your bites can be quite horrible as well. The reason flea bites itch is that flea saliva contains an anti-coagulant that causes an allergic reaction and results in the small, itchy bump that you see.
The best thing you can do for flea bites is not scratch them, obviously. This is always more easily said than done, but the more you can do to not scratch, the better. However, there are a few tips to reduce how much the bites itch.
Among the most popular methods to relieve itching are calamine lotion, tea tree oil, vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Ice can also work temporarily by numbing the area of the bite. You might also try hand-sanitizer, anti-septic cream and sunburn remedies.
Obviously, the best thing to do as a long-term solution is get rid of the fleas themselves. This is not always easy to do, but if you follow some fairly simple steps, and stay with a careful and concerted program, you can succeed.
The first step is to kill the fleas on your pet. There are many topical pet flea treatments available, but probably the most popular is Frontline. Frontline comes in small, single-dose vials that are applied between the pets shoulder blades. The treatment then disperses out through the animal’s hair follicles and oil glands, and should provide protection for one month.
The next step is to get rid of the fleas in your home. This can be difficult to do with a serious infestation, but following a careful plan is the key. First, wash everything you can that might be infested with fleas, including pet bedding, cushions, carpets, etc. Throw them in the washing machine and wash with hot water and detergent.
The best thing you can do for fleas in your home is vacuuming. Vacuum your carpets and floors as much as possible, every day if you can, but at least three days a week. You can also buy some chemical sprays and foggers if you have a bad infestation. If you do this, make sure you buy a product that contains both an insecticide, such as pyrethrin, as well as an insect growth regulator (IGR) such as methoprene. This ensures that the spray will kill both adult fleas, as well as eggs, larva and pupae.
The key to this simple program is to continue to treat both your home and pet long past the time the fleas seem to be gone. If your pet stops scratching, still treat them with Frontline. If your home seems fine, don’t stop the frequent vacuuming. Fleas can be quite tenacious and hide out as eggs and larva, only to surprise you with a new infestation just when you think you’re in the clear.
The domestic cat is the primary host of the common flea. It can maintain a life cycle on other carnivores and is responsible for most dog flea infestations. A human can be bitten by it but cannot become infested.
After the female flea lays it eggs on its host, it migrates from the hair coat of the host to the body. The larvae hide from the light and feed on dried blood. When the flea is fully developed, it jumps to a new host and immediately starts to feed on blood.
Flea allergy dermatitis develops when a cat has an allergic reaction. Large infestations can cause dehydration. It can transmit parasites to animals and humans. Bartonella, murine thypus, and tapeworm are some examples.
Pulicosis or flea bites is a skin condition caused by a flea. It begins with skin irritation after thr bite. It can develop into swelling of the bitten area, ertheyma, ulcers in the mouth and throat and soreness of the areolas. If these conditions are not checked, it can spread to the lymph nodes impacting the central nervous system.
If a cat becomes infested with fleas, the fleas need to be eliminated immediately to prevent tapeworms from developing. Over the counter sprays and powders are usually not strong enough. Flea collars treat the area around the neck. If the collar gets wet, it may become ineffective. Monthly medications prescribed by a veterinarian, given orally, topically or injected, work the best.
If a cat has fleas, a house has fleas. Vacuum everything in the house and immediately dispose of the vacuum bags. Wash bedding and linens in hot water. "Bomb'" the house with insecticide foggers. As soon as fleas appear, call a veterinarian who can recommend shampoos, foams, dips, sprays, oral and topical medications and foggers to use.
The spot on medications are becoming the most popular way to prevent fleas. They are effective and easy to apply. The medication is usually applied to the shoulder blades, absorb into the skin and protects the whole body. It kills the fleas within hours and is safer to a cat because of its lower toxicity. It can also withstand bathing.
Oral medications are recommended when frequent bathing is needed. The medication is usually administered in a monthly pill or chewable food form or 6 month injection. The medication does not kill fleas but prevents reproduction. If medication is not desirable, special metal flea combs are available to remove them.
Flea Control Secrets - Natural Flea Remedy - Cedarwood
You have always looked after your pet's welfare, especially when it comes to its health and physical well-being. Dog flea is one of the biggest problems encountered by your pet so you will have to face the challenge of getting rid of fleas. Fleas imbibed animal blood and can provoke countless problems, including: skin irritation, allergic reaction, anemia and in remote cases, even death. By means of flea control, there are guides and methods given on getting rid of fleas.
1. Experts suggested these common procedures for removing fleas:
* Inspect your dog daily to determine that it is bugged-free; better still, is to check for fleas and ticks on your dog after your outdoor walks.
* Search for those hideous fleas by using a flea comb dabbed with jelly petroleum so the fleas will stick to the tine. * Carefully check your dog's toes, behind the ears, in the armpit, tail and head where fleas are usually congregating.
* To find out if your dog has fleas when bathing; spread a large white towel under the dog. Fleas naturally fall off when you rinse the dog. When you find fleas, flick them with alcohol-soaked cotton balls. The solution will slow them down for you to catch the fleas easily. Then place them in a cup of water and flash water down the toiler bowl or down the sink.
2. Natural prevention: A healthy dog is antidote for fleas and other parasites cannot affect them; healthy animals recoup from illness faster. Parasites tend to pick unhealthy animals with weak immune system. Remember that when your pets are stressful, like humans, their immune system weakens too.
3. Dietary method: Dogs must have their fill of nutritious diet. In order to boost its immune system, include the following:
* Mix one teaspoon (per 30 lbs. of dog's weight) of brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast with their daily food.
* Give B complex vitamins at 50 mg. once a day for smaller dogs and twice the amount for larger dogs.
* Dilute one tablespoon of organic apple cider in the dog's water dish.
* Mix one teaspoon of safflower oil or powdered kelp or seaweed in its food bowl.
* Blend grated garlic and mix in your dog's food; fleas are repelled by garlic odor.
4. Traditional methods for getting rid of fleas:
* A flea collar has been an old stand-by and effective method. Just be careful in using this with your dog; be sure to read the instructions carefully.
* Topical treatment is available from your veterinarian. Frontline plus is a monthly topical flea and tick preventive for dogs. Frontline for dogs kills 100% of adult fleas on your pets within 18 hours and 100% of all ticks within 48 hours. It contains an insect growth S-methoprene which kills both adult fleas and larvae.
* Oral medication is also available from your veterinarian. Oral medication is very effective for it makes larvae incapable of reproducing during their life cycle. You can buy this from Petmed which is an online pet store offering pet supplies, medical products and supplements for your pets.
* Flea shampoo, balling dips, flea comb and flea powder are also effective applications to get rid of fleas. These are ways of getting rid of fleas; easy and time-tested. For more information, you can search the web.